Thursday, Dec. 7
- The National Capital Planning Commission will hold its monthly meeting at 1 p.m. at the commission’s offices in Suite 500, 401 9th St. NW. Agenda items include comments on site selection for the National Desert Storm and Desert Shield Memorial; comments on concept architectural lighting design for Key Bridge; comments on concept design of the Franklin School’s rehabilitation into the Planet Word museum; and review of final site development plans for a new guard booth and fence augmentation at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Nebraska Avenue Complex.
Friday, Dec. 8
- The Glover Park Citizens Association and Friends of Glover Park will host their annual Toys for Tots holiday party from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Stoddert Elementary School and Glover Park Community Center, 4001 Calvert St. NW.
Saturday, Dec. 9
- The Palisades Citizens Association will hold its annual Breakfast With Santa and Cookie Exchange from 9:30 to 11 a.m. at the Palisades Community Church, 5200 Cathedral Ave. NW.
- Mayor Muriel Bowser and the D.C. Public Library will host a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the new West End Library from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. at 2301 L St. NW. To RSVP, visit westendlibrary.eventbrite.com.
Monday, Dec. 11
- The National Capital Planning Commission will hold a public meeting on the draft environmental impact statement for the Smithsonian South Mall Campus Master Plan. The meeting will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. at the commission’s offices in Suite 500, 401 9th St. NW.
- Solar United Neighbors will host an information session on its new 51st State Solar Co-op, which is open to all District residents and which will include support for free solar systems that will become available to low-income participants in single-family homes on a first-come, first-served basis once the program has obtained final approval from the D.C. government. The meeting will be held from 6:30 to 8 p.m. at the Petworth Library, 4200 Kansas Ave. NW. To RSVP, visit SolarUnitedNeighbors.org.
- The D.C. State Board of Education’s ombudsman and student advocate will host a discussion and workshop on special education programs in conjunction with the Ward 3-Wilson Feeder Education Network and Ward 3 State Board of Education representative Ruth Wattenberg. The meeting will be held from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at Wilson High School, 3950 Chesapeake St. NW. To RSVP, visit bit.ly/2zUTHr1.
Tuesday, Dec. 12
- The Shepherd Park Citizens Association will hold a community meeting at 7 p.m. at Shepherd Elementary School, 7800 14th St. NW. Agenda items will include membership changes and updates on Walter Reed development, including information on the National Children’s Medical Center’s plans.
- The Brightwood Community Association will host its annual holiday potluck from 7 to 9 p.m. at St. John Baptist Church, 6343 13th St. NW. Attendees able to bring a dish to share are asked to contact [email protected].
Wednesday, Dec. 13
- The DC Chamber of Commerce will hold its 2017 Annual Meeting & Chairman’s Inaugural Breakfast from 8 to 10:30 a.m. at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center, 801 Mount Vernon Place NW. Tickets cost $100 to $200. For details, contact Janelle Morris at [email protected] or 202-821-4819.
- The D.C. State Board of Education #DCGradReqs Task Force will meet at 6 p.m. in Room 1114, One Judiciary Square, 441 4th St. NW.
Thursday, Dec. 14
- Advisory Neighborhood Commission 3/4G (Chevy Chase) will hold a public meeting to discuss funding issues related to the long-term future of the Chevy Chase Community Center, which is slated for renovations in the coming years. The meeting will be held from 7 to 9 p.m. at the center, located at Connecticut Avenue and McKinley Street NW.
Saturday, Dec. 16
- Ward 4 D.C. Council member Brandon Todd will hold a Ward 4 Holiday Party from 6 to 8 p.m. at Lafayette Elementary School, 5701 Broad Branch Road NW. Attendees are asked to donate a new winter coat for a child. To RSVP, contact Dolly Turner at 202-654-6406 or [email protected].
Monday, Dec. 18
- The National Capital Planning Commission will hold a public meeting on the draft environmental impact statement for the Smithsonian South Mall Campus Master Plan. The meeting will be held from 10 a.m. to noon at the commission’s offices in Suite 500, 401 9th St. NW.