- “Young Planetarium” will give kids ages 4 to 10 an introductory astronomy lesson in stars and planets of the night sky. 4 p.m. Free; first come, first serve. Rock Creek Park Nature Center, 5200 Glover Road NW. 202-895-6070.
Classes and workshops
- Stretch some muscles while surrounded by art at Yoga in the Galleries. Bring your own mat; blocks and blankets are also recommended. 10 a.m. $10 per class; $5 per class for Museum Members. The Katzen Arts Center, American University Museum, 4400 Massachusetts Ave. NW. 202-885-1300. Classes are held every Wednesday.
- The Friendship Heights Toastmasters Club will offer tips for communicating more effectively in a friendly atmosphere. 4:30 p.m. First two classes free; registration required. Geico, 5260 Western Ave NW. Chevy Chase. 301-986-3985.
- Fernandito Ferrer will bring the Nueva Trova musical style to the Kennedy Center with percussive guitar work and soulful vocals. Free. Millennium Stage, Kennedy Center. 202-467-4600.
Discussions and lectures
- The “Women in Architecture: Make No Little Plans” talk will bring together the design leaders behind some of D.C.’s most complex structures and projects to discuss their processes, inspiration, successes and challenges. 6:30 to 8 p.m. $10 to $20. National Building Museum, 401 F St. NW. 202-272-2448.
- Folger Shakespeare Library’s Resident Dramaturg Michele Osherow will share her perspective on Shakespeare’s “The Winter’s Tale” in a pre-performance discussion, including a reception with light refreshments. 6:30 p.m. $20. Folger Shakespeare Library, 201 E. Capitol St. SE. 202-544-7077.
- Artist Yuki Ideguchi will give a lecture on the history of Japanese painting styles to kick off the opening of the exhibition, “Evolving Traditions: Paintings of Wonder from Japan.” 6:30 to 8 p.m. Free; registration required. Embassy of Japan, 1150 18th St. NW. 202-238-6900.
- The Italian Embassy will screen “La ragazza del mondo (Worldly Girl),” Marco Danieli’s award-winning drama about a woman who must choose between her Jehovah’s Witness community and her newfound romance. 6 to 7:45 p.m. Free; registration required. Embassy of Italy, 3000 Whitehaven St. NW. 202-518-0998.